Todd Lakey graduated from Brigham Young University in 1990 with a Bachelor's Degree in International Business and a Minor in Spanish. In 1993 he received his Juris Doctorate degree from Lewis and Clark Northwestern School of Law where he was a member of the Cornelius Honor Society and the Moot Court Honor Board. In 1999 Mr. Lakey was elected and took office as a Canyon County Commissioner and served as Commission Chairman for over five years. He was elected to the State Senate in 2012 and currently serves as the Republican Senator for District 12 located in Nampa, Idaho.
Mr. Lakey's practice focuses primarily on business and employment law, land use and zoning, real estate, public entity law, administrative law, healthcare, government relations, and contracts. Mr. Lakey has worked as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for Canyon County and as civil counsel for the County. Over his career, he has handled real estate transactions and obtained zoning entitlements and approvals for thousands of acres of land throughout the region. He has overseen large complex residential, commercial, mixed use and industrial projects. He represents clients involving self-funded health benefit programs and medical administrative appeals. He has also represented private clients in obtaining necessary approvals with city, county, state and federal government entities.
Over the years, Mr. Lakey has served his community in many capacities, including:
- President of the Idaho Association of Commissioners and Clerks
- Chairman of Idaho Association of Counties Legislative Committee
- Board Chairman of the Community Planning Association of Southwest Idaho (COMPASS)
- Board Chairman of Valley Regional Transit, the regional public transportation authority for Canyon and Ada Counties.
- Served on the Board of Directors for the Idaho Association of Counties and the Idaho Counties Risk Management Program (ICRMP)
- Former member of the Board of Directors for Idaho Partners Against Domestic Violence.
- Volunteers time with the Boy Scouts and coaches youth basketball
Reported Idaho Supreme Court Cases:
Coalition for Agricultures Future v Canyon County, 160 Idaho 142 (2016)